You’ve heard of breakfast in bed – but now you can try ‘breakfast in bread’!
Start your day with a show-stopping, beautifully buttery brekkie that will keep you beaming for hours with our delicious bread with egg recipe and video.
Loaded with gooey cheese, golden yolks and creamy Anchor butter, this amazing hack pulls out all the satisfying stops.
Bread with egg in the middle – what will I need?
You don’t have to pull out every pot and pan from your kitchen cupboards for this egg and bread masterpiece – the bread acts as its very own bowl!
Before you get started, make sure you grab:
- 100g Anchor butter or Anchor spreadable
- 1 whole tiger loaf
- 4 medium eggs
- 100g grated mature cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make bread with egg – a few simple steps
- Before pulling out the ingredients, turn your oven up to 200°C/gas mark 6 and let it pre-heat. While it’s warming up, start prepping your loaf.
- Carefully using a knife and a spoon (or your hands, if you’re so inclined) cut and scoop out four circular holes down the centre of your breakfast bread. Pull out the doughy filling and aim to make them 1-2 inches deep. No need for things to be perfectly neat – rustic will work just fine.
- Grab your Anchor butter and add a creamy dollop into each hole. Don’t be shy –
the butterier the better!
- Take your eggs and crack each one into a different hole. Add a sprinkling of salt and pepper and a hearty layer of grated cheddar.
- Once all your ingredients are in your loaf, wrap it up in a blanket of foil and pop into the oven for 25-30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and add another (yes, another!) layer of cheese. Then bake for another 5-10 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when pools of crispy, golden brown layers form. Delicious!
The finishing touches
When your bread with egg breakfast is baked to perfection, slip it out of the oven. Finish off with a final lashing of Anchor butter on top. Wait for it to cool a bit if you like – then it’s time to dig in!
Add a smoky, spicy touch to proceedings by adding a bit of paprika or chili flakes onto the final layer of cheese.
Breakfast in bread – the results
Our bread with egg recipe is hearty, gooey, and delicious – a quick and easy hack that will instantly satisfy.
Butter, cheese, eggs and more butter? What more could you want for your start to the day?